Tuesday, November 14, 2006

red cups. not the kind at raging parties.

what a pleasant surprise: i made dinner for dan and dillon and right before we sat down, a knock at the door revealed kevin and micah!

i have a problem: haircutters love to chop off so much of my damn hair and charge 1/6 of my monthly income. but, it is just hair. it will grow back.

i encountered someone who just didn't want to talk much or expand on the current election results. i thought he was boring. maybe he feels threatened by my new friend, nancy?

sometimes i realize that i have friends that i need way more than they need me. sad realization, but in the end, i think it's worth it to pursue. totally selfish, i know.

i am becoming desensitized. for example, when i first came to san francisco, my heart ached when i saw the homeless man digging through the trashcan. now, being here for 3 months has made me... numb. i don't feel that ache anymore. i just... go on with my day, helping to create a consuming environment. damn me. where is the in-between? i am going to start volunteering in january.

there is this woman who i often see on market street, she carries a sign that reads "defend your rights" i want to talk to her, but she is always walking the opposite way that my bus is going. did someone take away my rights? am i on the offense? does she have a job? where does she live? does she think that she is effective? is she?

secret confession: i thought i was going to die on the bus the other day. a real death. not some over dramatic "i thought i was going to die!" line from a story. i thought there was a suicide bomber on the #21. i am alive, obviously. but i still was scared. why, i'm not sure. but i definitely am contributing my fear of dying on the bus to the media and my own horrible judgments. damn me, again.

the red cups are here at starbucks. what a brilliant marketing campaign that allows me to associate paper cups that aren't recyclable to jesus' birth.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Dear Emily, I have to criticize your comment about friendships. To believe you need someone more than someone needs you is wrong. Christ in you, and Mediator in all relationships.

And, you are valuable to me.