Friday, September 9, 2005

Goodbye Rome, Hello Florence

I'm here... in Florence. Moved into my apartment today and it turns out I live two doors down from the school I am studying at (SACI- Studio Arts Center International/ saci-florence.org).

Nervous, anxious, excited; all of the above. It's good that a smile is so universal; it really helps when someone smiles back at you when you are feeling all of the above.

My bed sucks- it needs an egg crate (Jeff, will you send me one?) and new sheets. Where in the world do you buy sheets in Florence? I miss California already, everyone smokes here, anywhere and everywhere.

I got my first passport stamp and it was in Denmark. I was only in Denmark for 2 hours. I was all by myself and I wanted to jump up and down and be excited with someone but it was only me in Denmark, looking around for someone I knew. No one. Then I flew to Italy and they didn't even want my passport, no stamp, no customs, nothing! I want a passport stamp from the place that I will be living in for 3+ months. Please people, let's be official.

I came from Rome and it was great, but I can already tell that I like Florence better. Though the Vatican was fantastic; am I the only one who didn't know that the Vatican is its own country? Yeah, well don't feel stupid if you didn't know that. So we (Zac Gordon from Westmont and myself) went into the Sistine Chapel and there are clearly marked signs that you do not talk or take pictures, or use a flash in anyway. Let me tell you, Michelangelo would have been pissed! It was SO loud and so many people were taking pictures. It made the whole experience a lot less enjoyable, especially with the guards yelling "No Photo! SHHH!" every 27 seconds. All in all, it still was beautiful.

Mon (9/5): Arrive and walk around Rome... Spanish steps and some fountain that I should remember the name of.
Tue (9/6): Colosseum and Ecstasy of St. Teresa (Marble Statue) @ this amazing church
Wed (9/7): Zac's birthday, Vatican city, Sistine Chapel, rain storm
Thur (9/8): Rome to Florence by train, only 22 Euros! ($27 USD), checking into SACI, unpacking and settling into the apartment.


Last days in Rome/First day in Florence

I miss you. Comment on this or email me at ekatz@westmont.edu... I like snail mail!!!! (Seriously, who doesn't?)

My address is:

Emily Katz, Fall 2005
c/o Studio Art Centers International
Palazzo dei Cartelloni
Via Sant’Antonino 11
50123 Florence - ITALY

-e.

No comments: