Thursday, July 27, 2006

i am my mother.

grrrrrr.

scene: family, sitting at the dinner table. we probably just finished the meal and the slowest eater just put down their fork and their plate is already taken from them. heck, everyone's plates are already taken from them and the food is cleared, dishes have already been rinsed and are all in the dish washer.

"mom, sit down!" she keeps going. she can't relax until everything is clean.

i used to be the one, chiming in with the brothers, telling her to sit down. the tables have turned. (i don't so much know what that phrase really means, but used literally- it's not that great)

at the end of dinners with friends, i am the one clearing away and i get this restless feeling and i need to do something. i can't relax, just like her.

i hate this about my mom and now i hate this about myself. shit.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

i was thinking about this the other day. I was sitting in the hallway next to a bunch of pictures of my parents and it struck me that:

1 kevin = 1/2mom + 1/2dad.

that's just the way it is.