Tuesday, September 12, 2006

jim, jobs and john

Tonight a group of us went to Berkeley to hear Jim Wallis speak for free (Jim is the author of God's Politics and also the co-editor of Sojourners magazine). It was "good" (I use good because my vocabulary is too small and I am too lazy to think of another adjective); I wish he spoke longer and knew his audience better... we were in Berkeley, and he could have gotten deeper into his thoughts- it seemed like he just brushed over topics.

I kept having this thought: "Yes, Jim, I agree! I agree!" Then my mind would quiet as I was thinking about what he was saying and these feelings came over me... guilt, embarassment... I started to feel bad about agreeing with Jim. I felt like I was doing something wrong for agreeing that peace and conflict resolution are good while war is bad. Then I started to wonder, why am I feeling these things? Where did this come from? Why did it take me so long to change my political status to independent? Have I been brainwashed? Why? Who did this to me? Was it my parents? My family? My hometown of Visalia? The Church? Who? It's like someone told me that in order to be a Christian you need to be a Republican, though you probably can be a Republican with out being a Christian. Then I started to wonder, how many people out there are "Republican" or believe a few things that Republicans believe because at some point someone told them the Republican = Christian? I am certainly guilty. It has been so engrained in me that I feel bad about peace and conflict resolution! How do I get out of this? Do you have any suggestions, because I certainly need anything I can get....? (Email me)

I am starting to ignore my September 15th rule about finding a job....I'm not ready to give up yet. I have applied to 7 different places and 2 have confirmed that they've received my resume and cover letter, so hopefully I get an interview. I'll keep you posted.

Life in the house is great... tonight we are off to a Giant's game... and this weekend we are going to a Cal football game. Love it.

September 12th marks John Mayer's new CD release and something new is coming out in the Apple world... so I am off to visit Dillon at work and check into Steve Job's new product.

No comments: