Friday, December 31, 2010

goodbye, 2010.

i started the year at the sugar shack. nick came to visit. i did a gluten-dairy-sugar fast. i went back to the sugar shack for the tyrolean feast. and then i went back to tahoe with the yutes. julie and i turned wednesdays into a dynamo ritual. i visited kristy in seattle before she moved. i learned how to make truffles. i went to the jelly belly factory. i spent valentine's day at the pillow fight. santa cruz church retreat with the yutes. the olympics! community group retreat at the sugar shack. i said goodbye to my favorite eight year old. julie and i went to kauai. i filled out my census form. i got braces. we found roommate number two at a san francisco emergency room. i ate a lot of cheese at dan and kimberly's. i searched and i searched and i searched for his dad, only to find out that he doesn't exist. o-chem-jim left martin's to become a priest. we talked about breathing a lot in the month of april. easter in yosemite, third annual for me. i was reminded that i've failed, i'm selfish, i'm jealous, i'm judgmental, and i consistently forget how to love the people around me. i made a quick trip to arizona for jeremiah's wedding. i named, out loud, my five friendship crushes: kimberly, diane, cait, lana and the boss; i became friends with all five of them. i rescued a turtle in kauai with becky and amy. i wrote a lot of cryptic blog posts about my grief and loss. i faced a lot of shit head on, asked for help and admitted my failures and heart ache. on may twelfth i put my running shoes back on. i went to modesto for lisa's baby shower. i visited eden in la la land. i got to go to kqed in person. i supported my best friend as she accepted her doctorate. i got to be a part of kristy and alex's wedding. i got to meet one of the leading trauma therapists in the world and soak up her knowledge like a sponge. i took a stanford series of classes on forgiveness. my nephews turned three. i voted. i coordinated for james/lis, hahva/kiff, sean/court. i had my one year anniversary at my agency and i was eotm. i learned on three different occasions that tequila gets me good, every time. i helped house sit through a breakup. i saw james taylor and carole king with my mom. my sinking-whale-sibs-set learned to swim. i decided to train for a marathon. baby bear was born. i did a four mile run and cried through out the whole thing because i didn't think i could ever make it to twentysix. i went on the trip-of-a-lifetime to greece and turkey, which included the poker-dealing-smiling-guy and "sister time" galore. i was incredibly grateful to turn twentysix, in which there was a birthday party with pulled pork and hard cider. the taxi driver became a real person. i learned about sticky peaches. carter and courtney helped me run fifteen miles. i restarted therapy. i saw the weepies! and sufjan! i went to portland and met bear. i voted again. nephew number four, cannon, was born. we searched and searched and finally found the perfect apartment. the giants won the world series. i ran eighteen miles and then we moved. i closed a lot of my favorite cases. i ran twenty miles. i got glasses and was told i have bad hips. i named my grief/loss period coming to a close and recognized true joy. i kissed the sunshine, a lot. i went on a blind date and five to follow with someone who was absolutely perfect for me on paper. i went back to hawaii, for the third time, and finished a marathon ! ! ! we threw the best house warming party EVER. i said yes to something really brave and scary.

goodbye two thousand and ten; it was a bittersweet year.

1 comment:

Lana said...

i love how this is written. Its been an amazing year being your friend. Your honesty is amazing and you are always challenging yourself.
I'm lucky to know you Emily.

xo,
L