Wednesday, January 12, 2011

one of my passions: permanency work.

yes, i'm a therapist. yes, i work in the social welfare field. and yes, i generally can't talk that much about my job. but! when the thing related to my work that i'm the most passionate about it makes it on the radio, i get pretty excited.

kids who are removed from their homes often lose touch with their families. i've been in countless meetings to talk about kids' behavior and how "we" will "help" with "this" by using that "intervention." but the reality is this: connections to family and people who know you have the strongest outcomes i've ever witnessed. it also makes the most sense. it's the part of my job that keeps me up at night, wakes me up in the morning and reminds me about my vocation.

here is an interview with two of my co-workers and a child who was reunited with his family recently.



ps. i was also interviewed for this story but didn't make the cut as the work i was doing didn't have the happiest ending. bummer.

1 comment:

Lesley Miller said...

Good stuff, Emily. This is a great segment!