Wednesday, November 2, 2005

England: You changed my life.

On Friday (10/28) at around 7am I got on a train from Florence and went to the Pisa Airport. From the airport, I flew to Glasgow, Scotland because Ryanair was offering a flight for 10 euro. Once I arrived in Scotland, I was there for approximately 7 minutes as I ran to catch my train where I would spend the next six hours traveling South throughout the United Kingdom to Bath, England. At the train station I was greeted by Val Coyne, Kieran's mom. Kieran was my brother's roommate at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City two summers ago. They did "Fire in the Night," which meant they were praying from 12am-6am nightly. I had only met Kieran twice before arriving in Bath...once in Kansas City and once in California where I told him I was coming to Europe and asked if I could see Bath...I don't think he took me seriously, but through email, I was in Bath for 3 days.

Paul and Val were wonderful; I was staying with them as Kieran lives in a house full of guys in the center of town. Of course, when we arrived at the house they offered me tea and we chatted for a good hour (Kieran was at a 'gig' in Bristol) about anything and everything- their other kids, politics, the geography of the UK and how they thought I was crazy for sitting on a train for 6 hours...I tried to explain to them that to get from San Francisco to Santa Barbara is 6 hours so it was no big deal! Anyway...

Saturday morning I woke up nice and early (7am!!) and Val took me down to Kieran's house where we got in a car and drove to London. Kieran, Ben and I went to different parts of London and had a lot of fun. I definitely saw things I wouldn't have gone to on my own, so it was great (ie: Camden Town = punk rock/goth city). Kieran insisted I eat an English meal: pie & mash (lamb) Sounds gross but it wasn't that bad. I'm not going to go searching for it or find a recipe, but I had to experience it. After London we went back to Kieran's and just relaxed as we were exhausted.

Sunday was amazing. Kieran and I went to his parent's church...in a house, like in Acts. Four families that get together on Sunday and throughout the week to meet with Jesus. Then we went back home for lunch and then to a housewarming party at 3...teas, scones, cakes...all wonderfully English. After the party we went to BURN, the youth group that Kieran helps with. If you are from Visalia and you are reading this, his youth group was pretty much the same as Savior's old youth group...I didn't think anything like that existed besides in Visalia...newsflash, there are other cool/passionate people besides Visalia kids! Not being a part of a church since I've been in Florence has been difficult, but this service filled my hunger- it was incredible.

Monday I packed up my bag and went down to the restaurant where Kieran works...I had my first flap jack (AMAZING!) and did some strolling around Bath. Soon after, I got a train into London. I'm not going to be corny and say that Bath took my breath away, but when you experience a city with someone who lives there, you aren't really a tourist...I saw things differently. I actually only took a few photos because we were so busy doing other things, but I'm not worried as I think I will spend more than 3 days there at one point in my life. Everyone was welcoming, everyone was friendly...I would like to be back there soon. Later in the day I met my roommate, Marcy, in London and we walked around and got show tickets..she saw Blood Brothers (a musical, not the band) and I saw The Producers. I thought it was okay. Tuesday, I went into Oxford and strolled around, what a beautiful city. I'm partial to Bath but Oxford was phenomenal. After, I went back into the city and saw the things you have to see...Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, etc. Then I got a ticket for We Will Rock You, a show with music by Queen. I absolutely loved it! Went back to the hostel and got up soon after to catch my plane...I'm exhausted as I write this, but Westmont's Europe Semester is arriving to Florence in 2 hours- I'm pretty excited. I have the rest of this week off, it's my fall break. Fun, huh.

So when I left the UK I was quite sad..a little teary eyed..I really fell in love with that country. I know I didn't see that much but everything about it was so good. The culture, the accent, the beauty..I guess I'm choosing not to think about the States as a whole and all that I have there. I'm going to go back...hopefully soon.

No comments: