Friday, March 28, 2008

niel is a quarter century!

i know lesley might not believe me, but i strongly dislike receiving attention on my own birthday. and it's not that i'm secretly excited inside and can't wait for everyone to remember that it's the day i entered the world and exited my mother's uterus.

what really happens for me: my palms are sweaty all day. i turn my phone off, or at least push ignore/silence on every call and i'll want to be alone for a good portion of the day. i'll probably exclaim "happy birthday self!" at 12:01 and when i leave my house i'll hope that nobody knows it's "my day" because then it means i'll get some "happy birthday" comment from someone who barely knows me and certainly doesn't understand me, because if they did, they'd know not to say it in front of others. i mean, seriously, what does that even mean, "happy birthday"?

other peoples' birthdays? well, that's a different story. i guess it's all about how we receive and give love/joy/fill in the blank. i love to celebrate the people i care about. call it my spiritual gift or love language or some cheesy christian phrase. whatever the case, i give love by celebrating others with attention on their birthday and do not receive love in the same way (take note, lovers).

...that was quite the introduction for someone that i will be celebrating all weekend long. his name is daniel michael quon, aka niel. the party actually started last night as julie y., dillon and i planned to surprise niel with about 15 others at the elbo room. surprise = success. here's the story:

the birthday boy arrives, a quarter century old.


and he just realized trent came up from santa barbara:


dillon is excited because it was a success:


julie l. and lis are ready to celebrate:


dang, girl! where'd you get those baby blues?


nathan and dan have a moment.


ingrid, carrie, nathan, wimberly, adam:


i heart you, pryor!


julie, dillon and dan..


julie, me, pryor, carrie!


dan got this girl's number... awkward?


trent, pryor, julie, dillon, dan:


if you would like to partake in the weekend celebration, after church on sunday we will be playing kickball in the park and feasting on papalote. call me.

No comments: