Tuesday, May 25, 2010

gratitude challenged.

my bold claim: we, you-me-us-americans-europeans-rich people, us. we are gratitude challenged.


i mean, when was the last time you sat in your car and thought about how you can breathe air. and vote. and walk. and pick your religion. and drive. in your car, the one you're sitting in. and don't give me any of that "i don't have a car because i ride muni" b.s. because we all know that you, too, can afford a car. if you really had to, you could... so, back to my point. when was the last time you took a deep breath, deep down in your belly, and thought about what you had?

confession: it's been a while for me. in fact, i don't know if i can name one time in the last month that i felt gratitude. deep, gut wrenching gratitude. is that sad? sure. embarrassing? a little. honest? brutally.

this is just a thought; a question i'm asking myself: what if complaining and gratitude are supposed to balance each other out? what if?

i'm chewing on this for a minute. not committing to change today, but only to thinking about it. because let's be real: my scale has been lopsided for quite some time and the least i can do is give it some thought.

1 comment:

Lesley Miller said...

Thanks, Emily.

I just got back from an hour long run. I think I complained almost the entire time.

I'm going to take a shower, and make myself give thanks. ;)