Tuesday, May 18, 2010

missing the valley.

modesto reminds me of my life growing up in the valley. maybe it's the beauty of the land; the crop, the dirt. maybe it's the people who don't mind being apple pie. maybe it's may's seventyfive degree breeze on the deck in good, good company. the kind of good company that cultivates another friendship crush and reminds me of what caitlin says about a woman who is smart and kind: they are rare.

i drove home that night fighting my heavy eyes, (literally slapping my cheeks- i am a horrible night driver) while thinking about how grateful i am to know women like lisa and lesley. to know that it's worth it to pursue the friendship and to invest. to be authentic and vulnerable. to spend time learning from those who are experts at being smart and kind. and to surround myself with past and present valley inhabitants; there's something special about us.

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

how did I not know you were a central valley girl?..
Of course you are, it all makes sense now.
Central valley, salt of the earth.

Lisa said...

boo yah. sorry you were falling asleep on the way home. sad. who do you have a friendship crush on? maybe I can put in a good word for you... and also, who is "apple Pie" that you were around??

emilykatz said...

friendship crush = sharon!

apple pie = your mom and all her friends. i LOVE it. i am apple pie.

Sharon said...

Lisa and Lesley told me that you wrote about me on your blog =). Thank you for the compliment.

You should come to Sacramento soon to hangout with me and Lesley. We promise to show you a good time.