Tuesday, March 7, 2006

compromise?

I went to Visalia on Saturday night to visit Daniel and Autumn. Always a good and challenging time; thought a lot about compromise. Autumn consciously makes the decision to not watch this or that or listen to certain music because she sees it as a compromise... I think of the compromise as what you do with the information you just took in (watching this or listening to that) and what happens after the fact. Autumn's argument against me was that sometimes doing what I would do can create a calloused heart where I am so used to something that I'm not even convicted anymore. Am I making sense? Is there a middle ground? Is it black and white?

1 comment:

Kevin said...

ek-compromise is in both instances, I think. Not just in the decision before, but also the processing of the decision after. do you agree?
But, I do feel safer in the a priori resistance of certain things, because once you let them in-they are in, for good often.
with pop-culture, especially, there must be a filter. but its a good question as to what we will allow ourselves to watch, read, engage in--because there are great things among horrible things, good things among kinda bad things, and every variation you can imagine, I'd imagine. :o) it is not black and white. But i don't think its any shade of gray, either. We do need to engage our imagination (yes, more often than not, at least I think) knowing there is a great risk in doing so because the benefit is also great.