Thursday, April 23, 2009

understanding dementia behavior, part seven.

seventh tip from fca: when the going gets tough, distract and redirect. when your loved one becomes upset, try changing the subject or the environment. for example, ask him for help or suggest going for a walk. it is important to connect with the person on a feeling level, before you redirect. you might say, "i see you're feeling sad- i'm sorry you're upset. let's go get something to eat."

my addition to this tip: today my client was perseverating (think: repeating like a broken record) and it was vital for me to change the subject. she needed me to take her to another place so i redirected toward one of her hobbies. just an fyi: this tip can be really difficult to navigate.

the majority of the above information is from one of my favorite sources: family caregiver alliance, www.caregiver.org

read my disclaimer here.

No comments: