Thursday, October 1, 2009

dollars and forks. vote vote vote.

on tuesday, my friend teri called me up: hey, what are you doing tomorrow night? i'll be with a client until about six. why, what's up? have you ever heard of michael pollan? the guy who wants me to eat real food and more plants? yes, that's him! ya, i've heard of him. do you want to hear him speak? GET OUT! my day totally sucked until you called! so.. you want to come? YES!

so we went...quite the dynamic speaker!

the good news: i'm now inspired to read more than the bits and pieces i've read before from his books.

the bad news: he was preaching to the choir. it's nice to talk over and over to affluent white america about food and health (especially in berkeley). but it's not them/us who need to hear it. it's the people who we classify as low income. it's the ones who are type two diabetic and on the verge of heart disease. it's probably not you if you're reading this.

so now i feel stuck. his message works for me but not for everyone. and my reality is that i hold the privilege to make a difference. the question that won't leave my head: how can i help influence food choices in my community to help the poor? how can i actively stop the perceived and real gentrification that is occurring around food?

deborah dunn told me i vote with my dollar. michael pollan told me i vote with my fork. at this point, it's the same difference, really.

2 comments:

d.l.s. said...

Is it bad that the entire time I was reading this I thought, "Teri Tan? Did Emily get to go on an adventure with Teri Tan?"

emilykatz said...

I DID get to adventure with Teri Tan. Man, those were the days. You, me, Teri, Jordan, Alec.