Monday, October 5, 2009

the neutral face.

[if you know nathan, then this post will make more sense.] i am realizing that i'm getting really good at the neutral face. so good that i'm doing it when i'm not even meaning to! it's becoming a habit.


the neutral face is exactly what it sounds like: a face.. that's neutral. you can't tell what i'm thinking or how i'm feeling. i'm just listening and trying to wonder and understand more about you. i first learned it from nathan and it's being refined at my job. i started doing it with my clients and it's becoming very useful.

examples:
"i dropped acid last weekend for the first time. care to join me?" neutral face.
"do you have a boyfriend? i want to hook you up with my uncle. he's on the streets right now, but he'll be clean soon." neutral face.
"you're sort of round." neutral face.
"my goal in life is to be a teenage dad." neutral face.

it's definitely a learned skill. practice practice practice.

7 comments:

[Anna] said...

I think what's more shocking than your ability to have the neutral face is that people have actually said those things to you.

Lisa said...

did people really say those things to you??

*corinne said...

i'm laughing out loud right now.

Melissa said...

haha! I work with special ed kids..i've definitely got the neutral face down :)

emilykatz said...

yes, all have been said.

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHHAHA. you are hilarious. yes you do have a neutral face.

Allison sebek said...

I've always thought that you have had an excellent neutral face