Tuesday, October 13, 2009

i hung out with a priest-in-the-making.

and he said something that made me stop in the middle of my bite of spicy tuna roll.

i ignorantly asked, "is it fair to say that protestant denominations are the same as catholic orders?"

and he said, "no. not at all. protestant denominations have different theological beliefs. all orders [are supposed to] have the same theology. their difference lies in their focus; some focus on social justice and some focus on the contemplative life, for example."

GET OUT. you mean to tell me that catholics are on the same page regarding fundamental theological beliefs [for the most part] and it's the protestants who are reading different chapters, if not different novels? no way. i am so naive.

if it were my nineteen year old self at the dinner table, i would defensively respond, "at least the protestants have a personal relationship with jesus." thank the good Lord my narrow lens has been expanded.

of course he said all kinds of other really great things about life, causing me to tear up and think about death and phd's in organic chemistry and post docs and solitude.

No comments: