Tuesday, April 27, 2010

gwen ifill drives me nuts.

driving back from one of the five bay area counties to san francisco, i had to turn her voice off. i can't really put my finger on it, but the three o'clock hour of npr doesn't keep me at ease.

so i sat. in silence. and thought about it when he yelled at me, "why am i in foster care? why is my mom so stupid?" bless his heart. bless my heart. bless the kid who i put an enormous amount of energy into every day: home placement, school, family finding. over and over and over again.

foster kids wonder things differently than kids who aren't part of the system. i need to remind myself of their type of questions: who am i? what happened to me? where am i going? how will i get there? where do i belong? though some of us may have asked these same questions growing up, our answers were generally known.

hoping for change.

2 comments:

MicheLe said...

Katz, I've been thinking this lately but it should be said out loud: The kids you work with are So. Screaming. Lucky. to have you in their life. If I was helpless to speak for myself and needed an advocate that could act on my behalf and keep my best interests in front of others, you would be the very first person I'd call. Bless your heart, indeed.

Lisa said...

I was just going to say keep up the good work...but also, ditto to everything MM said.