Wednesday, November 3, 2010

when telling people you're training for a marathon.

one of the most interesting questions you might receive is, "have you noticed your body changing much?" [this is not a joke, i get this question at least once a week.]

i try my best not to make people feel awkward about asking this, but it's a bit odd. so i start to think of possible responses i could give to enhance the quirkiness of the question:
"yes, my thighs used to be really jiggly but now they're rock hard."
"i've noticed my heart pumps my blood faster."
"help! my boobs are shrinking."

don't worry, i haven't actually said the above (yet). i generally end up saying something about getting better sleep. nice and safe, right? right. reality is this, though: for me, it feels like people want to know if i've lost weight. [what a question that could be.] instead of asking the above question, or the one they're really trying to communicate, we should all just say NO to asking women about their bodies unless you're in the inner circle. and if you're wondering if you're in the inner circle, then you're probably not.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
random side notes:
-auntie em times five today! hello cannon, my new little ball of love.
-eighteen miles on saturday. i never thought i'd say this, but i'm excited.
-last shower with the moldy curtain will be on friday.
-posey, lincecum, wilson, huff, ross, etc: this city can't get enough of you.
-wine + benefit for the worker's children's fund = drunk dependency attorneys.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I've totally asked you that question :( but then I took heart, because I'm pretty sure I'm in the inner circle. Got me thinking why so many people ask that. I have a reason in mind.

Marta said...

I hear you on this one...

Lesley Miller said...

A few things:

One- I'm not sure what I'm more excited about for you:
a. getting rid of your moldy shower curtain OR
b. running 18 miles. I am SO FREAKING impressed with you Katz!!

Also, I've noticed that ever since I started running, people feel the need to tell me what they think about my body. Sometimes it really frustrates me. No matter what a woman looks like, I don't really get why others feel the need to discuss her shape. I like my body, but I'm more aware of it now than I ever was before. I don't like that.

Lana said...

Sometimes people tell me: "Wow, if you can do it, it's making me think I can too"

OR

"Marathon, huh? Isn't that SooOOOoo unhealthy for your body?"

OY VEY

Sarah said...

I love this post.