Friday, April 6, 2007

a documentary worth your time.

I watched Jesus Camp last night. Some thoughts:

First, the movie as a whole did not freak me out (I've heard it's scared others). In my teenage years (14-17) the youth group I was involved in was a fundamentalist type group. You know, the kind where the fundy way is the only way and if you aren't raising your hands in church during worship, you must not know Jesus. Yeah. About that.

Second, I couldn't believe that the response toward Global Warming was that it is "a lie from the liberal democrats and that it didn't matter because our life on this earth is only temporary; Jesus is coming back soon so we don't need to care that much" (my paraphrase!). Now, for the record (what record, really?) I'm not taking a position on Global Warming. HOWEVER, I am taking a position regarding this earth and our job to be good stewards of it- it is not an option! How we live our lives has an effect on the Earth- there is no arguing with that. I think it is completely ridiculous to disregard environmental issues as "liberal democrat" ideas- this isn't political. Period. All this to say, I salute the three R's (reduce, reuse, recycle), composting, turning off the lights, taking shorter (or less!) showers and public transportation. Thank you to letsgreenthiscity.com for being so kick ass in San Francisco.

Last, should I be concerned that the man wearing the red "Life" shirt who rocks back and forth is my brother's boss and mentor? He is the reason my brother moved to South Carolina. Yikes?

No comments: