Wednesday, September 19, 2007

anti-white? what?

yesterday someone told me i was anti-white. i thought that was funny. then i kept thinking: i guess that's better than being anti-any other race. for the record, i don't think i really am anti-white; however, if you want to get me fired up, ask me how i feel about white privilege.

if you didn't know, i read other people's blogs. my friend anna says i probably have a pseudo relationship with blogs, like hers and his and hers and his. this is probably true, anna. i do have a pseudo relationship with blogs (thanks michele and dana for introducing me to pseudo relationships!) all this to say, today this was posted on seth godin's blog:

"When I was in college, a local human rights group posted up signs around campus one Monday. They read:

On Wednesday
Wear Blue Jeans
If You Are Gay

This is brilliant marketing. On Wednesday morning, you needed to have a discussion with yourself. "Should I wear jeans?... if I'm in the closet... or if I'm supportive of the quest for rights... or if I don't want to stand out... what will it mean if I don't wear jeans? Or if I wear jeans and didn't know about the sign..."

This, of course, was precisely the point. It started internal debate which led, all day, to spoken discussion. Which raised the issue.

A huge amount of marketing is about "in" or ignore. This is about "in" or "out." By forcing people to make a choice, they created a conversation.

Check out what happened in Nova Scotia last week."

interesting how so many different points of my life are intersecting in regard to race and ethnicity. cool.

2 comments:

[Anna] said...

Question: Why is it okay to be anti-white if it's not okay to be anti-any other race?
Why be anti-anything?
Interesting thoughts...I like them a lot!

emilykatz said...

I don't think it is okay to be "anti-white". However, as a white woman, I think it is perfectly okay to be angered and saddened by the way myself and the race that I am a part of has treated others because of skin color. This also includes the privilege I now receive because of my skin color. Plus, I'm an F for FEELER so I get the pleasure of not just sympathy, but empathy. You know how that goes...