Saturday, September 15, 2007

it was too good to be true.

i'm so sorry that this day had to come. it turns out they aren't as cool as i thought they were. i don't mean all of them when i refer to them as they, just a few of them. anyway. we have a simple rule for how to have guests at the urban house: email me 48 hours in advance asking for permission. based on certain criteria, i write you back granting you permission and explaining specific rules that we have. i've never denied someone. ever. so just write me the damn email and let me write you back. but no. you had to have them with out the email. everyone else follows the rules. but you don't. and now you're letting them eat the house food (breaking rule #2). and by the way, i have a number of other things to talk to you about. where in this process did you start to believe that the rules in the house didn't apply to you? or for that matter, federal rules? (you did know that drinking under the age of 21 is a crime, right? and using someone else's id is also not okay. losing the id is mean, too.) also, asking me these types of questions is really lame: "why do you get to bring someone and i can't? why can your friends eat house food and mine can't? why? why? why?"

if this is what it's like to have children then count me out.

should i really have to explain myself to this person? should i really have to spell out the fact that i'm on staff and this person is a student? or maybe i'm totally wrong? maybe i should follow the same rules the students have to follow? in the mean time, how can i gracefully and patiently show this person that their sense of entitlement is not okay? this might have something to do with paying for an expensive Westmont education. oh God, help.

by the way, my favorite conversation of the night, said in all seriousness: "hey ____, do you want to come to church with me tomorrow?" ____ says: "i don't do organized religion or church on sundays. i've been to the middle east." thanks, dr. fisk for changing the thought process of students. however, thank you God for helping me to think carefully and choose my words wisely as i revealed my own cynisism to this person. it was fun to hear ____ change their answer to: "i'm being stretched and challenged in a new direction because of my time in the middle east. i'm still trying to process western/american churches and what it means for me in my own life so i would rather not go tomorrow." much better.

No comments: