Sunday, September 23, 2007

modified vegetarian.

san francisco really is getting the best of me. oh shit. i think i just became a modified* vegetarian. i just learned, or started listening to, the following facts:

fact 1: more than half of all the water consumed in the us is used to raise animals for food. a vegetarian diet requires 300 gallons of water per day, while a meat-eating diet requires more than 4,000 gallons.

fact 2: raising animals for food requires more than one-third of all raw materials and fossil fuels in the us.

fact 3: 1.1 billion people on earth do not have safe drinking water. unicef would love to tell you all about it.

there is tension inside me. how can i act and live with compassion in regard to those who are hungry, THIRSTY, lonely, naked, or in prison? i never thought i would do this. and i still wonder, does little old me not eating meat really make a difference in the amount of water/energy used? or the pollution created? do i really believe that i am helping someone else? or making this earth a better place? i'll have to find out.

*i write modified because 1. this isn't about the animals or the treatment of them (i think of myself as compassionate, but here's my honesty: i don't care that much about cows.) 2. this is more about the shit (sometimes literally: a USDA study found that 98 percent of broiler chicken carcasses had detectable levels of e.coli, indicating fecal contamination) that i put in my body and 3. it's about asking myself what i can do to be a better steward of the environment to help with water, energy and pollution. i believe there is a direct correlation with these things to what goes into my body.

wow, this will be a new journey.

1 comment:

mrc said...

So I was going through all of my bookmarked webpages and found this, which I bookmarked while we were in Firenze. Thought I'd check it out to see if you still kept up with it. Out of all entries I read first, it was this one - it was a pretty refreshing feeling. Anyway, I hope life is treating you well. I would love to hear from you, about what you've been up to and how you are. I am in Hawaii right now, vacationing with my boyfriend, so I have no complaints.

This was a pleasant stumble on the past.
I look forward to hearing from you.
-Marcy
m.cruice@mac.com