Tuesday, January 15, 2008

currently...

had dinner with my friends michele and chris this past weekend. michele reminded me that it feels good to be known. chris reminded me that i can be morally republican and socially democrat. (independent?) love love love them.

a new coffee shop opened close to my house. want them to hire me for 2 days a week. it is the cutest place you'll ever see.

church on sunday pushed my buttons. this is the latest class being offered: "finding the right partner: this course will explore issues of the head and heart when it comes to choosing a spouse. the first half of the course deals with "head knowledge" and explains the importance of building safe relationships while knowing what to look for in a dating partner. it also deals with key areas to explore in a partner in order to have an accurate understanding of what that person would be like in a long term relationship. the second half of the course deals with issues of "heart knowledge"- the dynamics of trust, reliance, commitment and sexuality".

don't get me wrong, i think this could be useful and beneficial to some people. perhaps even me! but there is a whole group of people who are being left out: the single people. instead of viewing them as second class citizens, why isn't a course on being single, whole and happy being offered? tell me, do you really believe that one could actually be single, whole AND happy (AND christian)? ultimately, i believe these courses would be more beneficial if offered in conjunction with one another. thoughts?

*thanks to westmont's tuesdays with morals program for the idea of "single, whole and happy"

3 comments:

Melissa said...

good blog..was it the molkoys? also, i agree about the single thing..i guess we're just too good to need workshops :)

Sarah said...

Emily, I like the way you think. I'm with you about the political parties. You don't have to choose one. Also, thanks for appreciating singleness.

MicheLe said...

Chris said dinner with you was a highlight of the weekend!! He said you are so good to talk to and fun to be around. :-)