Tuesday, December 16, 2008

full disclosure: i couldn't reach seventh position.

if you're musically inclined, you probably know what seventh position belongs to: the TROMBONE. yep, my second musical experience was with the trombone. AND I COULDN'T EVEN REACH ALL OF THE NOTES. how does one play an instrument if they can't reach all the notes? good question. i pretty much sucked and was there because in sixth grade all the ladies were playing the flute (come on, you know you were a flute girl). NO GIRLS were playing the TROMBONE. so i stepped up to the challenge. i think i might have even had a sixth grade boyfriend because of it.

...and after that year i said NEVER AGAIN (my lips were stuck in the puckering position and i wanted them back to normal. plus, the instrument and case weighed more than i did.)

what the hell. it was a learning experience.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAKJHAEKJHGAKEJGHAEKJGHAELKJGHALKEJHGAEKJHGAE

Marta said...

I'm impressed that you even gave the trombone a try! Very bold for a female in the 6th grade. I too was a band nerd. I chose the oboe because it was small enough to fit in my backpack.

*corinne said...

you totally nailed me... i played the flute. for three years. we played in the disneyland parade. and i did go to band camp.

s h o n n a said...

i was a trumpet girl... and this is why we're friends... because we didnt want to be flute girls! and then we joined choir... hehe.

sixth grade boyfriend? who???

Anonymous said...

Nathan and I went to see the symphony tonight (it was a gift ok?) and the trombone section had a solo... and I laughed out loud really hard with the mental image of you playing that instrument. classic. YOU WOULD.