Tuesday, August 18, 2009

what do you like about your supervisor?

for the purpose of not wanting to be dooced, i have removed content from this post.

....i'm just trying to make an "i like this" / "i hate this" list. regarding supervision. THIS IS NOT EASY, PEOPLE.

last week my old supervisor asked me why i'd been working so much. i starred at him for about eleven seconds and then shifted my head so i could look straight and only see him out of focus. the clementine formed in my throat and one tear fell from my eye. "i'm working this much because i have a lot to do. and. well. i'm doing whatever i can to avoid my personal life." and then many more tears fell from both eyes. he asked if i wanted to talk about it. and that's where i drew the line. i've learned enough about keeping the professional professional (and not personal) to know that i could answer but then it would warrant follow up responses. so i declined. and that was it. he didn't pressure me. he didn't dig. he didn't even give me manipulation eyes. and in that moment, i felt totally known by someone who has known me for all of fortyseven days.

all that to say: top on my list of what i like in a supervisor is someone who cares enough to ask, even though they can sense rejection is on the other side.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I like that too. And I'm sorry about your boy issues, intrigued but definitely sorry.

MicheLe said...

Maybe you should have your former supervisors tell your new supervisor what works.....and what goes over like a live grenade thrown into the room. :)
Love, your favorite boss EVER