Sunday, August 5, 2007

96 thoughts on vegas.

left on friday to go to vegas for a mini family reunion. i write mini because only half of my family was there, but the majority of my extended family was there... important items to note:

1. forgot my sunglasses. damn. not a good idea in 102 degree heat.
2. is there really something called nevada glare or was that my uncle trying to scare me?
3. the heat meant lots of cold beverages.
4. bought the new feist cd at starbucks.
5. yes, i totally overpaid but i wanted it right then.
5a. i am such a consumer.
5b. shit. [just own it emily, own it.]
6. stayed at the bellagio with my mom (details for why we stayed at the bellagio unnecessary unless we talk on the phone often).
7. the tune that comes to mind is from the dodgers v. giants games when bonds comes up to bat and dodger fans are chanting "oh-ver-ray-tid!" yeah. not worth it.
8. though, the elevators are really fast. i love fast and efficient.
9. also, the bathroom inside the room was nice.
10. but the experience of the hotel just didn't push my buttons.
11. well, the only buttons that got pushed were that of sensory overload.
11a. so many people.
11b. so loud.
11c. so much smoke.
12. speaking of smoke, i'm so glad i live in california.
13. there's no smoking in california. well, there is smoke, but you know what i mean.
14. back to vegas.
15. the majority of my family stayed at the red rock.
16. the red rock is a new hotel that cost a billion dollars to build.
17. it is nice because it is 10 miles off the strip and has a brand new modern feel.
18. including tvs in the bathroom.
19. the cousins loved that because they could play xbox in the tub.
20. not while there was water inside. safety first.
21. regarding cousins... one of the cousins has a crazy mom.
22. that would be my aunt.
23. she brought my cousins ex girlfriend with their family to the family reunion.
24. did you read that right? yep. i wrote ex girlfriend.
25. granted, they're only 16.
26. i almost think that's worse. being 16 and having your mom bring your ex.
27. it wouldn't be a family reunion with out drama.
28. this ex girlfriend is allowed to drink and smoke.
29. what? 16 years old. oh no wait, she's 15.
30. this is the aunt that doesn't get along with my mom that well.
31. this aunt allows the drinking and smoking.
32. this made other aunts/uncles angry.
33. "we don't promote underage drinking/smoking in our family."
34. reminds me of getting yelled at for letting 16 year old cousin kyle have a sip of my mudslide by the pool 2 years ago in kauai. i got busted.
35. it was just a sip?
36. back to the 15 year old ex.
37. yeah she pretty much made all the young boys uncomfortable.
38. she was talking inappropriate.
39. things i wouldn't write on my blog. [sexy things that are unmentionable]
40. this all happened last night in the middle of the adults only 40th birthday party for my aunt sarah and uncle rasmus.
41. rasmus is swedish.
42. and real swedish. he grew up in sweden.
43. not just his blood being swedish.
44. rasmus is not american. he can't vote.
45. so my favorite aunts went up and checked on the kids.
46. that's when my cousins (9 of them, ages 5-16) said the ex girlfriend was making them uncomfortable.
47. she ruined the party cause the 16 year old cousin was the babysitter and now he had to go home.
48. we didn't let it ruin our evening.
49. we reserved two black jack tables.
50. using my persuasive communication skills, i asked the pit boss if the $15 minimum could turn in to $5 just for my family? (photo below of one of the tables... bad quality cause you're not supposed to take photos at the tables. oops.)
51. he thought i was cute, or something. he said yes!
52. my aunt and i sat at that table for three hours.
53. she noted that it felt like speed dating cause we were never leaving.
54. and the men kept coming.
55. including the jerk in the last seat staying on 12 when the dealer was showing a 3.
56. i hate that guy. sitting in the last seat sometimes means taking one for the team.
57. everyone who sat in that seat after got pre-screened by us.
58. you think three hours is a long time?
59. it's actually not.
60. especially when the drinks are free.
61. i learned that i love kaluha & cream. and vanilla stoli & diet.
62. no, i did not get drunk.
63. i had to play cards, duh.
64. actually, i had to win.
65. which is exactly what i did.
66. $300.
67. did you want to read that again? i wrote three hundred dollars.
68. i learned, to win big, you gotta bet big.
69. so i started out with $5 bets and then i felt brave as i was winning.
70. a few $25 bets.
71. i was only playing with my winnings cause the first night i won $50.
72. it was all money i could lose... right?
73. but this morning i lost a little bit.
74. $20, to be exact.
75. my grandparents took my mom and me to fremont street
76. that's old school vegas.
77. i would actually prefer to call it the ghetto.
78. we lost at roulette. fifty cent roulette.
79. we were in the ghetto cause my grandparents were staying at the golden nugget.
80. don't ever stay at a hotel called the golden nugget.
81. i don't care how much money they put in it for renovations.
82. even if they have an incredible water slide.
83. all my grandparents wanted me to do was ride the slide.
84. i just didn't want to. okay?
85. you know your grandpa is getting old when he wants to play slots instead of the tables.
86. not my grandma, though! she likes the tables.
87. speaking of my grandma, there is a photo of her, me and my mom below.
88. i love my grandparents.
90. i love my family.
91. i don't think i love vegas.
92. not my idea of a vacation.
93. more of a crowded, smoky, sexy place.
94. what happens in vegas probably should not happen anywhere else.
95. that's why it stays there, emily.
96. duh.



above is uncle rasmus, great aunt judy, uncle kevin, sister in law courtney, aunt molly and aunt susan.

the most important thing i learned about gambling in vegas: put the black chips in your pocket and don't go in your pockets until you walk away.

1 comment:

s h o n n a said...

oh my gosh
hilarious post.

love you 1000 times over