Thursday, August 23, 2007

First day of Grad School.

Sitting in class I had the thought: I'm so glad I'm here. Dr. Patterson was talking a bit about his journey into the Counseling world and everything in me was excited. Reading over the syllabus was strange because I was looking forward to the papers, the readings, and the discussions (that's a rare occurrence). Not only that, I was surrounded by people who want to help people; from the the grief and dying process to substance abuse, and everything in between, you could feel the energy in the room. We automatically had a bond.

I'm learning that a licensed MFT in California is a very broad career-- it is not just limited to couples and families. We already get to start thinking about where we want to do traineeship (to accumulate 1300 hours)-- or at least what type of focus we would want. My mind went crazy... what type of people do I want to work with? College aged? Inmates? Sex offenders? Couples? Kids? And with what types of issues? Suicidal? Divorced? Depression? Body image? There are so many options. There is so much need.

Bottom line: so excited to be at USF.

1 comment:

*corinne said...

how fun to see your comment! i was thinking about you the other day... i still have that purple scarf you made and sent to me while i was on europe semester. i still use it!
so excited for you to start your mft program. i added your blog to my google reader so i can keep updated with how things are going for you.
much love...