Friday, October 5, 2007

13 daily effects of white privilege.

intellectually i understood white privilege but there was a disconnect in comparison to my everyday experiences. the following points have helped me bridge that gap. it is extremely important, as i believe this is my moral obligation, to recognize and face the racism i was born into and am a part of. issues of race are not just for some people, they are for everyone.

1. i can if i wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

2. i can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that i will not be followed or harassed.

3. i can turn on the tv or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

4. when i am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," i am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

5. i can be sure that if i have children they will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

6. i can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

7. i can swear or dress in second hand clothes without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty, or the illiteracy of my race.

8. i can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.

9. i am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.

10. i can criticize our government and talk about how much i fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.

11. if i am pulled over by a cop or if the IRS audits my tax return, i can be sure i haven't been singled out because of my race.

12. i can easily buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, and children's magazines featuring people of my race.

13. i can choose foundation or bandaids in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.

*adapted from an article in the july/august 1989 edition of peace and freedom by peggy mcIntosh.

No comments: