Thursday, October 25, 2007

part 1 of 2 on tim ferriss' bull shit.

i was going to start posting some of my [public] confessions, but it will have to wait for 1. me to get some more courage and 2. me not to be pissed off about the below topic.

perhaps i am a little over the top? maybe i don't give people enough room to change and grow? or i'm naive? maybe i am just not that intelligent? when i get passionate and have strong opinions about things, i can't let things go (if you know me, you definitely know this to be true). so, as you can read, this blog has been a place for me to unleash, let go, scream, yell, be pissed and want to drop four letter words that begin with the letter F.

for the last two years, i have made a conscious choice to not eat at carl's jr. besides the fact that i don't normally eat fast food, i have intentionally made this choice because of this AWFUL commercial. yes, i know that it's probably not making an impact on carl's jr's revenue because little old me isn't eating their food. however, i firmly believe that when we buy something, we are making a stance and saying "yes, i believe in you! i support you! i agree with you!" sometimes these things can be good or bad. and in this case, no thanks carl's jr, i'll buy my [veggie] burgers somewhere else.

well, today i am expanding my thoughts on this topic. you see, i not only think we vote with our monies, but i am beginning to realize that we vote with our time. [duh?] i read a lot of blogs, magazines and news on the internet. in this specific area of pop/media culture i would say that because i am not paying for these things, i am voting for them when i spend hours a day participating in them, rather than _______ [fill in the blank]. so... this can only lead to the latest thing that i am letting go of, cutting off, deleting off my RSS feed, dropping four letter words that begin with the letter F at the computer screen, etc. etc.

his name is tim ferriss and he is the author of the book, "the four hour work week." there is/was huge buzz about this guy in the blog world, so of course i picked up the book and read it. then i put his blog on an RSS feed and awaited his posts hoping to see what new and juicy information this [young] guy had to offer. in part 2 i will explain why his book isn't for me and how i would rather just stick with GTD by david allen. anyway, i digress.

today tim ferriss posted about the art of letting bad things happen but i just couldn't get past the weapons of mass distraction or the video at the bottom. well, mostly, i couldn't get past where it read: "Weapons of Mass Distraction: boys love guns. I’m sorry, but that’s how we are wired..." first of all, tim, are boys really wired this way or do we play into the stereotypes that they are? and if you don't love guns and you are a boy, what does that make you? this reminds me of the absolutes in wild at heart or captivating by john and stasi eldredge.

i might be overreacting. i might be over analyzing. i might be throwing out a good thing. but after watching the video TF posted today, i can't find it in me to want to continue to learn from all that he has to offer.

i fully believe that learning involves hearing from both sides (and by both i mean all because most of the time there aren't only two sides)... ya know, watching fox news AND aljazeera with a lot of bbc in between. getting the full picture. but there are things that i just can't vote for, whether it's with my time or money. guns, capital punishment, war... (writing that down made me think about how i really need to change my political status) those are a few of them for me. what are they for you?

i can't seem to think of another side to this minuscule detail that probably doesn't represent TF in any way, shape or form. but i'm latching on to it, it's what i do. someone, teach me how to change! i am just so bothered by guns. watch the video, you'll see... TF doesn't even do anything irrational. just like some people like paris hilton washing a car in a leather outfit, some people will be entertained by TF shooting guns. i, however, am not. and now i'm voting to spend my time differently. with a little less tim ferriss around.

ps. if you want to read why the rest of his post is BS, see what anna has to say.

8 comments:

[Anna] said...

e-
this is me voting for you with my time. this is me affirming you in your statements. i love that you put GTD in opposition to 4HWW - agreed. GTD provides the same helpful insights about productivity without the added selfishness. GTD enables the readers to understand how to be a better worker rather than a person who pawns there work off on other people so they can go dancing in belize.

Dane Sanders said...

I think both you friends are moralizing about TF needlessly. He's not pushing you to his values. He's promoting intentionality toward whatever you value most. It's an a-moral system, similar to Allen's GTD. Both can be hung on good or bad values with good and bad results.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having different values than TF. I know I do. But I'm a little surprised that you're throwing everything out. It seems like this is less about TF and more about what TF seems to represent to you. But, what do I know?

Maybe he is the devil :-).

Lesley Miller said...

Ok, I don't know much about Tim Ferris but I do love it that you vote with your money and time. I completely agree that even though you alone may not cause Carl's Jr to go out of business, you can have an effect. I know that when Abercrombie started their nasty ads years back, I stopped shopping there and I know a lot of other people did as well. Collectively, we can make a difference by making small statements. BTW, I just discovered your blog and it's a good one. :) I like what you have to say!

Deyl said...

i appreciate your passion emily! i love it when people share their opinion on controversial items.

I think you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater on rejecting 4hww just because of TF's hobbies. I agree with Dane that his book is amoral. He urges asking the "why" question instead of just the "how"

BTW, I'm a big fan of "pawning off" my work to other people... work like changing my oil, cleaning my toilet, mowing my lawn, closing escrows in real estate, cutting my hair...

i look forward to the conversation!

Dane Sanders said...

Deyl is smart. So is Emily. You guys should argue so we can all watch :-).

Deyl said...

don't be decieved... i used google answers to get that response :)

j/k!

emilykatz said...

here's the thing: i reject a lot of people because of their hobbies. (mostly people i don't know or have a pseudo-relationship with, like TF) especially people who i think are immoral. maybe that's something i need to change? i'm open to it.

also, i am not interested in unfairly exploiting people for my own advantage. however i am more interested in a simple life but i'm not sure that TF offers the type of simple life that i'm referring to.

deyl, nice to meet you, i'm emily. it looks like we have some mutual friends. i also am interested in pawning off work to others, as long as fair wages are involved. regarding cleaning your toilet: wow. i hope you pay this person a lot- that can be a dirty job.

[Anna] said...

a) glad to see you all have gotten acquainted :)
b) love the conversation - i always like a passionate conversation (in person or online)
c) In response to the belief that 4hww is amoral I question whether or not that is possible? Can something be amoral? What does it mean to be amoral?