Saturday, November 17, 2007

beat the bitch.

watch this video if the title of this post doesn't give you any hint to what i'm about to write about.

i've been thinking about this for a few days. i cannot imagine how a could-be-president let the "beat the bitch" comment slide, laughed it off and then went on to say, "i respect senator clinton." YOU DO NOT! you're a liar! oh wait, you're a politician. that's like saying i'm going to eat a cheeseburger with cheese. it's repetitive. it means the same thing.

i guess i'm sensitive to this topic because i am the bitch. no, i'm not running to be the leader of the free world nor am i nearly as strong as hillary clinton. however, i am blunt, passionate, aggressive, ambitious and a hard worker. i like to get things done. hillary and i do have that in common. in the work world, i will be labeled this villain because my bitchy personality far exceeds my motherly-nurturing-kind-gentle side. you know, the side of me that is supposed to come naturally. geese, didn't you read wild at heart? i'm a beauty waiting to be rescued. i have news for you john eldredge: it doesn't come naturally for me, or at least, it's not my first inclination to be that way. am i still a woman? [yes, yes i am.]

here's to standing up to john mccain on my blog and telling the world that his reaction is unacceptable. and! that woman's question is very telling of who she is. i'm incredibly embarrassed for her.

read how debra condren tells the story much better than me.

5 comments:

d.l.s. said...

I'd rather be a "bitch" than a Republican any day.

[Anna] said...

I agree. I too would rather be a "bitch" - I loved Debra Condren's response. Actually, my most definitions I am one and I'm glad.
I generally think of sexism in the same realm as racism and it would have been completely inappropriate to call Obama the N-word. That would not have been a laughing matter, instead it would have put McCain in serious jeopardy as a candidate. Instead, he's just one of the "old boys" laughing off a sexist remark which is entirely unacceptable.

Also, I am going to Borders this afternoon to buy Ambitchous - I'll let you know how it goes.

Lesley Miller said...

Great post. :) I ditto what Anna said.

Anna said...

I know I'm in the minority here, by I really wasn't THAT offended by this video clip. Mostly I just think that the woman who refers to Sen. Clinton as 'the bitch' is an idiot for using that language on camera. Besides that, McCain himself nevers uses deragotory language, and I felt that some of his laughter was purely out of shock and that he was actually uncomfortable with the usage of the b-word (indicated by the way he shakes his head and covers his face). His immediate reply is that that language needs to be translated, and goes on to say that he respects Sen. Clinton. Let me be clear - I do not think that referring to women as bitches is acceptable. I also do not think that McCain refers to Hilary as a bitch here, an ignorant women trying to get a laugh does. I can understand how some people find the clip much more offensive than I do, but I really don't think it substantiates a claim that McCain is sexist. If at the end of the day McCain turns out to be the candidate that I feel has the best solutions for foreign policy, heathcare, education etc., I can look past some awkward laughter.

emilykatz said...

i think it's the fact that he didn't say anything to correct this woman. that's where i get stuck. but in the end, i have to think, did i really believe john mccain would react any different? nope. that's why it's funny-- he's playing into all the things i already think are true about him.