Thursday, June 26, 2008

anxiety over a hand mixer.

i sat in my favorite store, sur la table, for over an hour with a little bit of anxiety. okay, a lot of anxiety. i even had to leave once and put more change in the parking meter. i just couldn't decide. i would go back and forth to the hand mixer section from picking out the mini cupcake pan and the piping bag. (i totally am owning that i just bought a piping bag: i love baking). so i called my pops. he wasn't that much help and i called my mom and she didn't answer and i called lis and she was taking a test and i called and i called and i called. it seems like the decisions that shouldn't be difficult for me ARE DIFFICULT FOR ME. things that should be hard = not so hard.

which color should i choose? was the question. white was out of the question because it was $30 more than the colored ones. pink was out of the question because i knew i'd regret it, even if it was $40 cheaper than white. so i was down to yellow, orange or green. all three of these colors are so going out of style in the next ten years but oh well. i had to choose. to pick one. just one little bity hand mixer that would make my mini cupcakes oh so cute and mini and fluffy and mix that buttercream frosting just perfect. and then i picked up the orange one and stood in line. sat it down on the counter and she revealed the price. and as i reached in to get my trusty visa card i yelped, I WANT GREEN. i totally startled the lady. ooops. sorry, sorry, pardon me, i parted through a sea of people in line just to get the green one. and then i ended up with green. i am such a feeler.

the thoughts i had while choosing:
-how do people register for weddings? they are crazy. this is overwhelming.
-how come i feel so much pressure to pick a color?
-does this dictate my kitchen appliance colors?
-shouldn't i be making this decision with somebody?

so after my anxiety subsided and i left with the green one, i walked to the car and thought over and over about how i was supposed to make this decision with somebody. and then i got angry. i was angry with society or whoever the hell taught me that a hand mixer needs to be purchased with someone. and not just with someone, i mean like on a gift registry-for-a-wedding-with-someone. i had all this pressure on me to pick the right color, one that i wouldn't regret and one that would go with my kitchen. MY KITCHEN? I DON'T EVEN HAVE A KITCHEN. i don't have pots or pans or le creuset dutch ovens to match the hand mixer. who taught me that you don't buy things like hand mixers and plate sets and spatulas unless you are with someone? LUDICROUS! here's to green hand mixers being purchased for the single people. embrace the kitchen purchases! CHEERS.

10 comments:

s h o n n a said...

you are fucking crazy but this is why i love you. hopefully we can go shopping and make some purchases together. p.s. i need to go to the mac store. p.p.s lets try and talk tonight

[Anna] said...

1. You should have called me. Green was the obvious option and I knew you were going to pick it from the first paragraph.

2. Don't worry. You don't ever need tobuy a le creuset dutch oven. I NEVER use mine so basically it's over $100 of wasted space. I'd give it to you but then you'd have a Christmas kitchen b/c mine is red.

Sarah said...

You go girl! Maybe I'll take my very single self and go purchase a hand mixer soon. I like your choice of green by the way.

P.S. I'm waiting for you to write about why you are an S insteand of an N now. I'm curious.

Megan said...

I effing love kitchen products. When I was engaged, Josh made me rush through the store to just "get stuff." I told him he didn't understand.... so I ended going back home, researching all the products on Amazon, then re-selecting all the products based on their ratings!! :)

*corinne said...

not even in my wildest dreams would I come up with researching the products' ratings. classic, meg.
em, i was a sourpuss for a whole day when i thought i might have to buy a gold car instead of the navy one i ended up with. i hate gold cars. color is a very serious matter to me. i spent 45 minutes in bed bath and beyond a couple years back trying to decide if i was getting two lime colored pillows and one teal, or two teal and one lime.

Lesley Miller said...

All matching kitchens are no fun. If you someday go for bright purple dishes, your green mixer will still be cool. And even if it's not-- your cupcakes will taste so good that no one will notice.

On a sorta related sidenote, I was chastisied by multiple people for not registering for one of those HUGE mixer things (that also come in different colors.) I decided a hand mixer was sufficient, cheaper and didn't take up space I wouldn't have in a tiny apartment. I've never regretted my decision. I think there are a few friends/family that are still mourning my decision. Ugh. Women.

Megan said...

lesley! i can't believe the words.

my kitchen aid mixer is maybe the best thing that ever happened to my kitchen...

GiantHaterAdam said...

can"t you just spray paint it any color you want???

amy said...

i loved your post; you go girl. btw, i don't have a mixer and i have been married twice; gave it away to someone. but, quite envious of your little handy dandy green one; that lime one would be my pick. might have to invest in one too.

Anonymous said...

Green is the best choice. You rock