Wednesday, June 4, 2008

i was his six hundred and ninety eighth jump.


well, we decided back in april that we were going to go skydiving for dillon's birthday. may came around and no one could work out good days to go. then, the first sunday in june was open so we were stoked. so we (lis, dillon, james, dan and i) set out to lodi (south east of sacramento) around 7:45am. our car ride was filled with lots of nervous energy, me commenting about my last outfit, in case i did die (i was, of course, wearing my yellow 'vote for katz' shirt from high school/deca), the latest r&b/pop music and the yelp reviews of the place we were about to risk our lives jumping out a plane for (lodi parachute center). in the yelp reviews there was a common thread of the hot australian man that a few lucky girls had the pleasure of going tandem with. everyone decided that i would get to go with the hot australian if he was there; i was, after all, the only single female in the group.

finally arriving around 9:30, we walked into this huge warehouse building where they wheel 'em and deal 'em. meaning, they get you in and get you out- no reservation necessary. it's part of the reason that the whole thing costs a hundred bucks. anyway, the place definitely had character. as someone noted, the video we were watching seemed a lot like the dharma initiative videos from lost. i noticed that i was signed up to jump with friesy (like french fries with an "eeee" at the end). what the heck kind of name, or nickname is that, i thought?

we waited about a half hour and then our numbers were called. i was thinking about being scared and dying (seriously, couldn't stop thinking about it) but simultaneously was thinking about how i couldn't let my friends down. we had to do this. and i already dropped a hundred bucks. we walked into another room. "number ninety-six?" he called. "that's me!" i exclaimed as i looked up to friesy, with a very large smile on as i heard that HOT australian accent. oh my goodness, did i really just get the hot australian? no way! no WAY! NO WAY! damn! i hope i don't embarrass myself. what happens if i pee my pants? oh shoot. just act normal.

so the first moment of totally inappropriate (though hilarious) interaction was when friesy asked me to turn around and step into the harness that would be attached to him. not hearing the 'turn around part' i stepped into the harness. *brace yourself, grandma!* friesy then said (in the hot australian accent), "well, you could step in like that, and we would be sure to have a good time, but it might not be a good idea, but i could get into it!" uhhhh... the guy i am about to die with is totally flirting with me. a lot. it certainly made me think about him rather than falling from a plane, so that was good (i guess). and then there was comment after comment of that cute little accent and those cute little sayings. and then there was that time when we were on the plane and he was attaching us together and he told me to sit all the way back into his lap. for some reason i dismissed the "into his lap" part and just sat back further. that's when he said "no girl, get up on me... i mean get on my lap, i need to, uhh, hook us together" WHAT??? sexual innuendoes?! stop it, friesy! i'm about to die!

the truth of the matter: he wasn't that hot. definitely cute. but that accent. dang!

and the actual experience: well, my life never flashed before my eyes. not once. i felt safe the whole time. my mouth did get extremely dry as i was screaming at thirteen thousand feet. you should try it. it's even better if you're with an australian. they do it better down there, or so i've heard.

the photos:

pretend like we're in focus, k? me, dil, dan, lis & james.


four mins to jump time


how cool is this shot of dil?


i cannot believe we did this


that's me!


the banana pose


after all was said and done

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I felt nervous and excited just reading this post. I'm glad you got the Australian!

s h o n n a said...

i fucking love that vote for katz shirt. somehow over the last 6 years i lost/misplaced/gave away/?? that shirt. makes me sad. do you remember how obnoxious we were singing "vote for katz, vote for katz, check that box and VOTE FOR KATZ" to the tune of the kit kat song? oh wow. those were the days (minus ashley d. of course)

Lesley Miller said...

you are a much, much braver woman than I. Congrats. I would have fainted on the way down. :)

Lesley Miller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...

Shut your pie hole - I too jumped out of a plane over those fields in Lodi, not long after my 18th birthday. I, however, had to "get up on" a 250lb guy with a handlebar mustache named BILLIARD who worked at the PRISON when he wasn't skydiving. Couldn't make that shit up.

Megan said...

I love it! Good job. I made the fall the minute I was legally allowed to:) I just heard a story the other day (I can tell you this now that you have jumped), that a woman was jumping, instructer on back. Neither chute went off, so he buffered the fall with her body. She died (obviously) and he lived. How SHADY is that?!?!