Thursday, June 5, 2008

twelve step meetings.

I went to my first AA meeting the other day. No, I'm not an alcoholic; I don't even drink that much. I went for my substance abuse class (we have to go to two twelve-step meetings). Anyway, I learned a lot about myself in that short fifty five minutes (I was late).

My experience wasn't how it is in the movies; we weren't sitting in a circle and not everyone had to speak. It was interesting to think about my expectations and the reality of the people there. I thought it would be a ton of older men, say, over fifty. I think I was the youngest there, however, there were quite a few twenty-somethings, quite a few women, and quite a few prim & propers (or at least, they gave that vibe by the way they were dressed).

And. Today. I went to Sex Addicts Anonymous. Yep. I did. Not even kidding. It was pretty similar to the AA meeting. Important to note is that my expectations of a bunch of people sitting in a room and hashing out their "issues" in graphic form did not happen. (Thank God!) My favorite part was when my friend who I was with covered for us and said she had a "problem" but didn't want to talk about it quite yet and I was there for support. Whew! I was off the hook.

My friend Michele made a great point: twelve step meetings are what church should look and feel like. I agree; there is so much safety in those rooms, really. I was blessed by the group today and the group the other day. Even if I don't have either addiction.

I salute all people who go to twelve step meetings. You are truly some of the bravest and most amazing people around. I am impressed with your diligence and your sacrifice and your vulnerability.

No comments: