Thursday, October 9, 2008

thursdays are my favorite day of the week.

because i get to hang out with some pretty rad people.

some of today's observations...

i haven't really noticed the effects of the economic crisis first hand. until today. the people who are coming to martin's aren't the same as they were six months ago. they are different. they have homes. they are younger. they are well groomed. they are ashamed. but they are hungry. i hope we don't run out of oatmeal.

one day i will educate you on the joys of dementia. and aphasia. and apraxia. and agnosia. (unless, of course, you're cool like lori and already know). but for now i'll just tell you that with dementia can sometimes come delusions. which can sometimes mean conversations like this:

client: nobody ever listens to me.
me: i'll listen to you.
client: nobody in america listens to me.
me: [silence]
client: and i am a very opinionated person. americans just don't know how to listen. especially to me.
me: i want to hear your opinions; i'm listening to you.
client: AND everyone is stealing my underwear.
me: [completely straight faced] that must be so frustrating.

i spent the afternoon working and i fed my co-workers some delicious maple pecan scones. dbj. they're easy to make.

2 comments:

s h o n n a said...

what is martin's?
i love martin.
i have to go

s h o n n a said...

what is martin's?
i love martin.
i have to go