Thursday, October 30, 2008

i'm the limberest sixty year old you'll ever meet.

my friend mim said that to me the other day.

why are you so limber, mim?
because i've been doing yoga for forty years. every morning.
forty years? i didn't even know yoga existed forty years ago.
hello, i WAS a hippie. we started yoga.

and that got me thinking. maybe i should try yoga. even though the whole breathing thing might be hard for me, (just like anna) i think it might be worth it. i looked into classes and they have one called "yoga for runners" and since i'm a semi-official-slow-runner i thought this could be a good idea. it might help with my it-band.

any suggestions for a yoga beginner?

4 comments:

[Anna] said...

Go to YOGA! Try a level one or beginner flow class. Do it at a yogo studio rather than a gym (b/c you'll get more hands on training and actually learn the appropriate way to do poses). Also, check out your local lululemon (there are 2 in SF) and ask them for class and teacher recommendations. They will also have (most likely) a FREE Sunday morning yoga class :).

Anna said...

I am kind of a perpetual yoga beginner because I only go like once every 3 months. I recommend getting there a few minutes early and telling the instructor that you're new so that she can keep an eye on you to make sure you don't hurt yourself. Also, wear a tight shirt, because there will be upside-down situations in which a t-shirt will show everyone your belly.

Vanessa said...

Yoga does WONDERS for the IT band. On the off chance that the breathing and slow-as-molasses movements have you dozing mid-class, opt for a Power Yoga class,,,all the great stretching, with a bit more of a runner's pace. Namasté :)

cg said...

I don't have much advice, since I've only done yoga once. However, I would suggest getting a good mat or else you'll slid around and the holding the positions will be much, much harder.