Monday, July 6, 2009

i never forget the dessert.

whenever i cook for community group i try my best to accommodate all the food allergies: no peanuts, no dairy, no glutton. i think it's a challenge, almost like a puzzle, really. and with starting the new job, finishing my last class, terminating with my other clients, friends visiting, and trying to move, my life has been a little stressful. [just a little.]

and tonight.. i forgot the dessert. i know this doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is. to me. it's evidence that my life feels out of control. i am adding things to my day and still trying to figure out what to subtract.

as i sit here in the dark, i remind myself that this is part of transition and part of change. instead of feeling paralyzed by all that's going on, i am choosing to reframe and look for a different perspective. i think i'll start with this verse from sam beam's trapeze swinger:

"please, remember me...
i'm in the fallen trees.
fast asleep...
my misery."

maybe next time i won't forget the dessert. but if i do, it's okay. i am giving myself permission to forget it on purpose. i think that's a better expectation to have, don't you agree?

2 comments:

Lesley Miller said...

Yes, Emily, your last line in this post is the best. I too hate NOT having dessert. I'm also the girl who hates bringing drinks to a potluck because it makes me feel like i didn't do enough (and honestly, I love having people tell me how much they love my homemade food). Sometimes, its better for me to just bring the drinks or forget the dessert.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! It's ok that you forgot the dessert. Wait, you never had to provide it in the first place! Take the load off. I love you.