Tuesday, September 9, 2008

hugs.

i am in a predicament. you see, i am not a "huggy" person. well, i am if you know me and i know you. as in, we are a bit more than normal friends. no, not in the romantic sense. more like somewhere between friends and best friends. you know, that whole range of people.

the hug is sacred. people think the kiss is sacred but i don't think so. or at least my track record doesn't prove so. hugs, however, are totally different for me. i can't just give them away. and here's the problem. if you hug me and hug me and hug me and i continuously feel uncomfortable i have to at one point stop you and say something like "i'm not a huggy person" which makes me look like a total ass. and then they catch me hugging someone. dangit!

and all of this contradicts the idea that i love physical touch. help. what is a non-huggy girl to do? especially when i am constantly surrounded by hugs. hugs goodbye. hugs before bed. hugs to welcome me home. hugs in class. hugs. hugs. hugs. i'm living a non-huggy person's hell. okay, okay, dramatic exaggeration. i know. i know.

ps. julie younger: please keep hugging me. remember that postcard i sent to your work?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the hugest smile on my face right now. HUG-A-THON!!!!!

Lisa said...

I need a hug. Actually I have a friend who feels the same as you do about hugs. He's hilarious about it. Maybe you guys should be together...as in lye together. haha

Maggie said...

ME TOO.

I often find myself thinking similar thoughts. I don't think I need to become a casual hugger, nor should I have to surrender my protection of the sacredness of the hug in accommodating those other hug-sluts out there.

I actually had an aquaintance-type friend (I think she thought we were closer to the other end of the spectrum, but we were not)-who is a definite hug slut- announce to a room full of people that I am not a huggy person. I think she actually went as far as to say that I "hate" hugs, which is just not true. I love hugs. But for some reason I am just not interested in hugging eeeeveryone, aaaall the time. And you're right. She made me look like a total ass, because I liked hugging other people in the room, even on a semi regular basis. Just not her. Probably because she was the kind of person who would make comments of that sort thereby placing me in a box I don't believe I deserved to be placed in.(and also I resent being put in any sort of box even if I belong in there...)

All that's to say, girl, you're fine. You hug who you want, when you want. And don't hug when you don't want. I'm right there with ya.