Monday, March 16, 2009

understanding dementia behavior, part two.

second tip from fca: get the person's attention. limit distractions and noise- turn off the radio or tv, close the curtains or shut the door, or move to quieter surroundings. before speaking, make sure you have her attention; address her by name, identify yourself by name and relation, and use nonverbal cues and touch to help keep her focused. if she is seated, get down to her level and maintain eye contact.

my addition to this tip: when getting the person's attention and limiting distractions, try not to think of the person as defective; it's really easy to feel like you are talking to a six year old in an eightysix year old body. but they have stories to tell- though they might not relate or be connected, listen to them. chances are, the further they get into their dementia, the less people are listening to them and acknowledging their HUMAN existence. they need you to get their attention and listen to them.

the majority of the above information is from one of my favorite sources: family caregiver alliance, www.caregiver.org

read my disclaimer here.

1 comment:

Lesley Miller said...

Thanks Emily for these great tips. I am going to forward to my parents. :) I love that I get to benefit from what you're learning.