Wednesday, April 30, 2008

reflections on leaving.

the students write reflections on leaving the city... here are a few excerpts:

christie said: One of the most important lessons I've learned has been how to truly live life. Working in a hospital where one is constantly reminded how fragile human life is- where a seven degree change in body temperature could be the difference between life and permanent brain damage- has been very humbling and eye opening. I do not want to be a person who, when they find out they only have a few months to live, tries to live out their whole life in that short span of time. I want to already be walking in reconciliation, in love, in forgiveness. I don’t want my life to drastically change once I find out I am dying, I want it to stay the same.

kaityln said: I can never escape my skin and my money.

mikie said: where do the years go? I just need to place my ignorance on the table.

cari said: If the city has taught you anything, it’s that the cutest old man you ever met is sitting next to you on the bus—the one in the checkered newsboy cap, dressed like he lives in the Old World (this is, sir, San Francisco, and it is, sir, 2008, didn’t you know?). He carries Quaker Oats and a loaf of bread, groceries for the week, and his wavering head is nearly resting on your shoulder, he is so tired. If the city has given you anything, it’s a friendship with the mingling smells of sweet wisteria, trash, and alcohol. And now you spot the fog as it descends like a living thing; now you sleep well at night for all the steps taken on concrete by your tired feet. If the city has taught you anything it’s that Hippie Hill is not a peaceful place, but you love it all the same, for the beat of drum circles, for the sweet smell of marijuana, for the unwashed camaraderie. And you know now, from all those walks and runs in Golden Gate Park, that watching the Eucalyptus light as the sun sets is one of your most favorite things. If the city has taught you anything, it’s that there are beautiful, powerful, incredible women like Ms. Rusty Springer, and that you can be one, too. If the city has taught you anything, it’s taught you to look each day in the face, to embrace it and love it for all of its grief and rejoicing, its sadness and dancing. If the city has taught you anything, it has taught you that life is anything but mundane. You leave the city firm in these baby beliefs. If you know anything, you know life is heartbreaking, but beautiful; you know the days are to be celebrated as they are.

katey l said: I want to know the truth, even if it means what I've been learning all along is anything but true

beautiful, really; i'm sad to see these women go.

UNRELATED SIDE NOTE: get the song "violet hill" for FREE on coldplay's website only until next tuesday. it's a bit rougher in sound, but just as good as any of their other work.

1 comment:

Joe Bunting said...

Great post Emily. I liked it so much I turned it into one my own.

Check it out here.