Sunday, November 2, 2008

full disclosure: my most embarrassing vote EVER.

it was four years ago, to the day, that i made the most embarrassing voting decision EVER. and i don't think i've ever told anyone this. to come out to the Internet on this one is a pretty big deal... are you ready? be gentle with me. okay. here goes. in the two thousand and four presidential election i voted for. george bush. can you believe it? me, a raging liberal, living in, HOLD YOUR BREATH, san francisco?! 

things were different back then. it was two thousand and four. i wasn't very smart and i loved to follow people like my brother, daniel (whom i still love and adore). i didn't do so much thinking for myself, and i certainly didn't spend time researching platforms and thinking about specific political issues. i used to think abortion was the only reason to vote for a president and i felt guilty for voting anything other than republican. i lived by the politics of fear.

and now this is me just making excuses. the reality is: the worst decisions i've ever made are the ones i've learned the most from. four years ago i was dumb and young and had nothing to lose. and now i'm still dumb and young, but i'm pretty sure i have something to lose. 

the embarrassing part is not the voting for george bush thing (though, in hindsight, that was REALLY dumb). but it was my being uninformed and following the herd (of the religious right?). it was not thinking for myself. 

well, it's a new year. a new day. a new hour. here's to two thousand and eight where I AM INFORMED (thanks in part to some very lovely ladies) and to making my own decisions, thinking for myself and hoping for change.  

3 comments:

Anna said...

AT LEAST YOU VOTED. I voted in the 2000 primaries and then took an EIGHT YEAR hiatus. I think that's even more embarssing. Congratulations on getting informed this year!

[Anna] said...

I can't BELIEVE you voted for Bush!! I've been hiding the fact that I VOTED FOR BUSH IN 2004 from you for FOUR YEARS - in fact, I think I've even LIED to people because I've been so embarrassed. Thanks for being honest. I'm glad we can proudly proclaim our informed in '08 vote this year :).

s h o n n a said...

its ok... carissa and katie did it too... haha. and never really looked back. they were so gung-ho about it i only can laugh a little now. the good news is you all have turned around and opened your eyes. so thank god for that.