Tuesday, November 25, 2008

full disclosure: come on down.

i was on the price is right. it's true. november two thousand and two.
here's how it went down:

long long long line.
i bonded with the nametag people.
i wrote lots of nametags in price is right font.
i have many different fonts, did you know that?
i digress.
finally. my turn to talk to the producers.
stand up on the pole and shake the producers' hands.
"hi. my name is emily. emily katz. not dogs. and don't worry, i've been spayed and neutered."
no response. no laughter.
"and i'm a freshman in college. YEA!"
i thought i lost my chances.
waiting. waiting. waiting.
joe schmoe. sally sanders. emily katz. billy bob.
did they just say my name? NO WAY.
trip. fall to the ground.
make it to the bidding chair.
bid on stemware.
over bid.
bid on an electric guitar.
an epiphone. nice.
i was last. so i bid one dollar.
i won.
holy shit. bob's face is orange and rubbery.
i don't think i kissed him.
they showed me a prize. a camper, i think?
i played my game.
and lost. that sucked.
i waited. and waited.
time to spin the wheel.
spin. trip. spin. trip.
(three total times falling on national television.)
eighty five cents.
i won. i won. i won.
i'm going to the show case showdown.
SERIOUSLY!
wait. wait. wait.
show down time.
prize number one.
a trip to china and a grandfather clock.
she passed it to me.
i bid twelve thousand five hundred dollars.
prize number two.
a new car and something else fancy.
she bid something outlandish.
commercial break.
wait. wait. wait.
revealing time.
my prize total first.
i underbid! i could win.
her turn.
the tension is thick.
she underbid. she could win.
but who is closer to the correct dollar amount?
hesitation from the announcer.
her. she won.
she won by nine dollars.
bob said, "i don't think i've ever seen this in twentyfive years"
[thanks bob]
she was nine dollars closer to the correct answer.
than me.
i lost the show case show down by nine dollars.


by the way: i can't find the video. does anyone know where it is?

3 comments:

s h o n n a said...

you are such a star.

other price is right players:
suzanne chavez
boyd gaffney's brother
josh levine

you go guys!
i can't believe you tripped!!!!!
i would SO do that!

Marta said...

Emily--a great story.

I watched the price is right religiously during summer vacations in elementary school. I always wanted to be a contestant. You lived my dream. I'm most definitely jealous.

So sorry about the $9 difference. China would have been great. And a grandfather clock...I'm sure you would have found a place for it..? What else was in that package? Can't believe it was 12,500+ in total!

SLR said...

Haha! Why have I not heard that story before? You know what is weird? I read this while watching the Bonnie Hunt show and you know who her guest was? Bob Barker...weird :)