Thursday, November 20, 2008

refrigerators were meant for couples.

i had a moment of sadness when i was at my dad's last weekend. his refrigerator had an individual photo of all my brothers, with their wives. and it had a photo of my step-mom's nieces and their husbands. and that was it. i didn't make the cut. well, i take that back. i did make the cut: i was nine years old and with my brother [daniel] who is eighteen months older than me. we were children.

now, this is no slam against my dad and step-mom. this is just the nature of their refrigerator photos. the message that was sent to me was "you don't make the fridge unless you are married or coupled, with someone. anyone."

and of course my dad said to me, "i've been bugging you to send me an updated photo for months!"

and to that i say: how embarrassing. send you a photo of me, by myself? i mean, i guess it would make sense if it were me as a missionary, asking for money and prayer. or me, traveling in china, standing on the great wall. or a seventeen year old senior in high school. but i'm none of those.

so i am a mystery to those who walk through my dad's kitchen and wonder to themselves, "i thought he had four kids?" and all because i refuse to send a photo of me, by myself. i've just always thought pictures of people by themselves are ridiculous. 


am i alone on this?

6 comments:

[Anna] said...

I have a picture of you on my refrigerator - together, with me. Why don't you take a picture with your dad and put it on the fridge? Then you don't look like you have a freakish obsession with yourself and are just randomly sending out solo photos - and then when people come over they can say, "hey, is that you with your daughter? blah blah blah" - then your dad can brag about you and the day you took that picture together and how fun it was,etc. Good idea?

Marta said...

I hear you, Emily. Flying solo in a photograph can be a little awkward. (Like screaming "Hey look at me! Just me! I'm the only thing going on here!".)

I do think uncoupled people who have pets get off a bit easier, as being photographed with a cute dog is painless and totally kosher in the world of loving-your-loved-ones-via-the-refrigerator.

I agree with Anna...take a picture with your dad. Or borrow a dog. While I'm sure you were cute at age 9, your dad definitely needs a pictute of grown up Emily for his refrigerator.

Maggie said...

Anna, VERY good idea. Emily, you should do that.

I agree with you, though. Not fan of the all-by-myself picture. You are not alone in this.

s h o n n a said...

and this is why i hate society (not your dad's fault... he was raised this way... as was EVERYONE else). people need to realize it's OK to be single. many married people AREN'T happy or get divorced. so why can't we be single or be with someone and not be married. be single. be you. send a picture of JUST YOU to your dad... it shows confidence and that is precisely you emily jean katz.

s h o n n a said...

and this is why i hate society (not your dad's fault... he was raised this way... as was EVERYONE else). people need to realize it's OK to be single. many married people AREN'T happy or get divorced. so why can't we be single or be with someone and not be married. be single. be you. send a picture of JUST YOU to your dad... it shows confidence and that is precisely you emily jean katz.

Lesley Miller said...

My fridge has two married couples on there, both of which have been sent to me as Christmas cards. But, I also have some really darling kid pictures, baby pictures, friend pictures and a solo shot of Erica looking dazed on the soccer field that is so hilarious I just had to have it on my fridge.

My suggestion: take a really funny/awkward picture of yourself. Then, send it to your dad and send it to me too. It'll be up in a second.