Wednesday, November 19, 2008

full disclosure: i regret my tattoo.

my family must be rejoicing with a title like that. it's absolutely true, i one hundred percent regret intentionally sticking a needle filled with ink into my body. and i am totally resorting to outting myself on my own blog instead of calling each and everyone of you and saying "you were right. i was wrong."

some of you probably had no idea i even HAVE a tattoo. well, i do. it's on my left hand, between my thumb and my pointer finger. ya know, in that little area that is hide-able if you bring your thumb close to your fingers. i used to write reminders there all the time, including the bible verse, john three:thirty. so i wrote it there and went into a shop in the haight and made it permanent. on my birthday, five years ago.

why did i do it? well, i wanted to be reminded of that verse. i wanted to be rebellious. and i wanted to do something unexpected of me. 

i got all that. and i got awkward encounters in professional situations. or people asking, "who's john?" 

but the reason i regret it the most? because it doesn't serve its purpose: i don't see it anymore. it has become like a freckle on my skin. it doesn't serve as a reminder unless someone else asks about it. it's useless.

so. there. i said it. i wish i didn't make a decision to get a tattoo on my nineteenth birthday. HELL! my prefrontal cortex wasn't even fully developed. again, what was i thinking?!

7 comments:

[Anna] said...

Like so many teenagers who's prefrontal cortex is not fully developed... you weren't thinking (it's not your fault) :).

Don't regret it too much - and don't spend any money on getting it removed!

Lesley Miller said...

I had no idea you had a tattoo. Can't wait to check it out next time I see you...

and, majorly impressed you just admitted that on your blog. go you. you got guts.

Megan said...

Do you know I have a book called "Never get a tattoo" and I try to put it in front of people who are contemplating one?

Oh well.. they have all sorts of technology these days that can remove it!

s h o n n a said...

im really proud of you for admitting this em... its a big deal. do you regret getting it re-done when i got my belly button pierced on the bottom? haha. oh we are crazy. no worries... at least its not a tramp stamp!

s h o n n a said...

oh i thought you did. weird. maybe i just got it pierced where you got yours done.

cg said...

i didn't even know you had a tattoo...wierd (not that you have one, but that i've never noticed it).

Anonymous said...

hahaha. you are bold! going along with your empowerment streak...