Saturday, November 15, 2008

from beauty to ashes. literally.

how do you describe the community of westmont to someone who wasn't a student there? i really don't think it's explainable. when i try, i get the same odd looks that i do when i tell people i live in a house with westmont alums AND WE SHARE ROOMS-- "why in the world would you share a room WHEN THERE IS AN EXTRA ROOM IN THE HOUSE? aren't you out of college?" they sort of freak out. yes, it's strange, i know. but people who went to westmont seem to understand, so it can't be that odd? right? right. it's all about the westmont culture.

westmont is hurting right now; there's lost buildings and dorm rooms and faculty houses. no one is physically hurt but the loss is huge. two of my most favorite friends in the whole world have lost their homes. "i lost my journals... i lost my photos from growing up." sarah said to me. she doesn't care about the clothes or the furniture or the building itself. it's the memories that can't be re-made. the words on that journal that tell who she was at fifteen. gone. and kristy said "you could see my mom's china in the ashes." my heart melted. i try to imagine what their houses looked like and the things they've worked all their lives for. gone. i try to be optimistic when i call them. all i can do is pray. sarah made me laugh, "i guess there's good news: for the first time ever, we won't have to ask ourselves what to get our parents for christmas. we can go into any store and buy them anything. cause we know they won't have it."

my heart is heavy. 

2 comments:

s h o n n a said...

i am thinking of you. and sarah and kristy.

Lesley Miller said...

There is no way to describe Westmont. A lady at my church said, "Did you hear your school was burning?"

I looked at her, no, glared at her.

"Um yes. I was only up ALL NIGHT WORRIED SICK AND PRAYING ABOUT IT!!" Sheesh. Did I know? ha.